In the past two decades plus, David Trone has played a key role in building his business to a fast-growing category leader that had $2.5 Billion in sales last year. Join us at the Summit to learn how he has used innovation, entrepreneurship and more to succeed in an increasingly challenging business & legal environment.
- David Trone has been involved in the beer retail business since 1984 and the wine and spirits business since 1991. David oversees Marketing, Purchasing, e-Commerce, Government and Community Affairs, Finance and IT. He and Robert have traveled the world, working with producers to bring Total Wine & More the best selection at the lowest prices.
- David’s many community and philanthropic affiliations include Serving on the Wharton Graduate Executive Board, the Wharton Retail Advisory Board, the Wharton Entrepreneurial Advisory Board, Furman University Board of Trustees, The Bullis School Board of Trustees, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Board of Trustees, American University Board of Trustees and the ACLU Private Sector & Educational Advisory Board on Reintegration.
- David graduated magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa with a B.S. from Furman University in 1977, and received an M.B.A. from Wharton in 1985. He lives with his wife, June, and has four grown children. The oldest, Michelle, earned an M.B.A. from Wharton in 2016.
- Brothers David Trone and Robert Trone founded Total Wine & More in 1991 as a small, independent store in Delaware. Total Wine grew steadily on the east coast through the 1990s, expanding west to California and Arizona in 2007. As they grew, the Trones brought in executives from other retailers such as BJ’s, Zales, Bloomingdales, Toys R Us, and The Home Depot.
- As of August 2016, Total Wine has more than 150 Wine Superstores in 21 states. It conducts online sales in 14 states that allow online alcohol sales. Each store carries approximately 8,000 types of wines from around the world, 3,000 types of spirits (where permitted by law), and also offer about 2,500 beers, accessories, gifts, and cigars. Total Wine is adding 20 stores per year and has achieved $2.5 billion in retail sales for 2016.
- Total Wine employs about 5,000, including 500 employees at their corporate headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland and 800 wine specialists. The company provides in-house publications to customers, including Total Wine & More’s Guide to Wine, Total Guide to Beer, Guide to Spirits, a quarterly Buying Guide, and a quarterly newsletter called The Wine Advisor.
- Since its founding, Total Wine has given millions of dollars in financial and in-kind donations to a range of nonprofits. In 2015, Total Wine donated more than $6 million to 7,000+ local charities in 18 states. In 2014, Total Wine & More received the prestigious Market Watch Award for Community Service, the nation’s leading beverage alcohol industry publication. Wine Spectator editor Marvin Shanken said, “The level of time, energy and financial resources that David and Robert Trone have devoted to community service is truly remarkable.”